Friday, September 4, 2015

Our Homeless Neighbors

Hello,

Tuesday when I drove into the garage I had the thought that our neighbor had found a place. Wednesday evening they came to get some of their things. I did not think the woman seemed so happy, but I could have been misreading her. With her husband and a step son there, I did not want to ask about anything. With some ingenuity we got as much in their car as we could. The somewhat frail 81 year man assured us that he would be back on Thursday to get the rest. They did not come at the same time on Thursday so I was beginning to think it would not happen. Because they do not know my phone number I went out to the front steps so they could see me and make a connection. Just as I was thinking it Packing the car took more thought to get all the things in their car. We had been keeping a table and chairs that King insisted they would not need. We volunteered to follow them to their new place and deliver those last three items. King said they did not need them, but his wife rolled eyes when I asked what they would sit on. He finally agreed to the chairs, but once again said there was no room for a table. We loaded the chairs plus a couple of our webbed light weight lawn chairs because we know they like to sit outside.

Their new apartment is upstairs which is not easy for King to handle. Leroy, Vestina, and I unloaded and moved in all of the things. I do not know how they would have done it otherwise. King did say that one of his friends was to help, but he did not show. Could be we strange people that put him off? Their apartment is indeed very small; one room plus two alcoves for a kitchen and closet. There was not room for such a big table, even though it is not big. This was indeed another reminder of just how rich we are. They did have one small fan and we offered them our tall one that might blow some air out the window. They agreed to come get that. We drove home, made sure it worked, and handed it off.

I will have to say that there was no complaining, but King said more than once, that he needed to rest. It was hot and humid and I gather that affects him quite a lot. For their sake I hope the heat stops when predicted and is done until next summer.


Paula

No comments: