Thursday, September 10, 2015

Fruits to Share

Hello,

Today a small girl was pleading or closer to whining at her mom to get some candy that we sell in the library. Her mom kept saying no. When they were about done checking out I asked, “Would it be ok if she picked and ate some tomatoes?”

That was fine, so we went out to the pots that have tomatoes in them in front of the library. I showed her the small deep purple variety, picked one, rubbed off the dust, and popped it in my mouth with a sigh of pleasure as the flavor burst when I bit into it. With a little prodding this little girl did the same. I also showed them a plant that has small bright red tomatoes on it. She ate several of each before they came back into the library. From then on she was demanding, “Tomato!  Tomato!”

I loved having that candy forgotten and replaced with much more nutrition for her growing self.

After work I once again went to pick grapes. I use a pruner for this. Somehow I cut a v in one of my fingers. It hurt quite a bit, but did not bleed at first. After a bit, more and more blood appeared. I was able to wash it off at an outdoor water spigot. This car did not have a first aid kit that I could find, but a search in my purse revealed a small packet that contained two band aids and a safety pin. Seems I must be ready for all emergencies. When I tore open the band aid I found that it was in the shape of a yellow crayon. How old do you think this thing is?  I was pleased that it stuck to my finger so I could drive without smearing blood here and there.

I have many grapes and there are still some left to pick. I am thinking of making jam even though I do not want to make something with so much sugar in it, however I do still buy jam, but the low sugar type. I will have to see what recipes I can scout out.


Paula

No comments: