Monday, September 8, 2014

Gifts in a Day

Hello,

It seemed like a regular Sunday as Leroy and I headed off to church. We knew it would be full at least for Leroy as we were going to the church picnic then he had a nursing home service and his plan was to mow the lawn when he came home. Even though it is Sunday, the lawn needs attention. Our landlord is gone and asked Leroy to take care of it. The lawn mower has some idiosyncrasies so I am not comfortable doing that job and it falls to Leroy who now cannot do it until possibly Wednesday. His schedule gets packed at times. In December the museum is considering hiring him for some extra hours so he can finish taking care of the last books that are in storage in another place. At least at that point gardening will be done.

At the church picnic I was pleased to be invited to sit with someone and in the meantime several people did speak with us. I know more people at this church than I realize, if I could just remember their names I would feel even better, but just recognizing and greeting is a gift.

At the picnic someone asked if we wanted to go to a concert on the Brucemore (mansion) lawn which is a short walk from our house, about eight blocks. That was a pleasant surprise, but there goes the lawn mowing.

We learned that they gather early to share eating time. We just took some sandwiches and apples. It was great to sit and visit with another group of people we know from the church.

The concert was well worth going to as well. I realized it has been a while since I have seen an orchestra in person as I felt the sounds wash over me. The pieces were more on the light side with a guest vocalist who was quite impressive.

The only downside was that Leroy and I did not take jackets and the temperature was 66 before we walked home. We did have long sleeved shirts for which we were grateful. When we realized that almost everyone else had a jacket with them, I told Leroy, “We will not freeze, we will just be cold.”


Paula

No comments: