Saturday, September 13, 2014

A walk to the garden

Hello,

After work I went to the garden in Ely and pulled a few weeds because I was embarrassed to see them there. Now the beets are at least visible from a distance.

I came home where Leroy had a good start on the evening meal and I just had to help a little before we could eat. After that I set off to the community garden where I had seen broccoli starting to flower the day before, but I just did not have the time and energy to pick it.

I saw my neighbor from Burundi sitting out so asked if she would like to come with me. Again we had that slightly difficult talk time. I learned that she had been in a refugee camp and I think it was because of the Congolese interference in her country. Otherwise she had lived out in the country, or at least I think that is correct.

We spent some time picking; I broccoli and she tomatoes. Then we walked home. When I got to her house she threw her arms around me giving me a serious hug and said, “I love you.”

I was amazed. I have noted that she and her husband sit out quite a lot and many men stop and talk, but I never see another woman talking to her. She does go to an African church in town, but otherwise I would guess that she spends little time talking with women. That can be lonely.


Paula

No comments: