Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Fun Day

Hello,

I did not work today because I will be working on Saturday. My to do list did not get totally done, but some other things did and that was good.

The best thing was that I went to the garden in the respite from the rain. As I was going there I saw my neighbor across the street talking to a group of guys. His wife was sitting in the car. He asked if she could go to the garden with me. I was happy to have that happen.  She is from Burundi and has some difficulty with English. I understand that feeling of dealing with another language. We managed to talk while we were walking. I did not understand everything she said and she probably felt the same about my speech. She found some things in the garden that she wanted to take home, so that is good. She was especially smiling about the hot purple peppers.

Later, as I was pulling weeds which slipped out of the ground with ease, a close neighbor came to pick some tomatoes. Then he went to get his wife to pick some green beans because he said that hurt his back. While he was gone a woman came in a car to get some veggies. I had quite an extended conversation with her about the nutritional value of smoothies, etc. She is more into that than I am. Then the neighbor and his wife came back and they brought me some oregano and thyme. I thought it would be a quick trip to the garden, but it got quite lengthy. I am happy to learn that people are using this garden and think it is so great.

I told Leroy this is our contribution to the neighborhood. We are not the only ones who work there, but we certainly put quite a lot of effort into it. I also feel that I gain quite a lot from it both in food and contacts. I may not have lived here so long, but I am getting acquainted with my neighbors.


Paula

No comments: