Sunday, September 28, 2014

Enjoying Life

Hello,

Time is flying! That must mean I am having a good time. A friend gave me some tomatoes, almost three buckets full. I have canned a batch of 7 quarts that included celery, parsley, onions, and some other herbs. The batch I did today was only tomatoes. My policy is to not work on Sunday but that changed when I went on the porch and smelled a tomato that was past its prime. What does it take for me to banish my principles? Just a rotten tomato! Somehow that seems like a small insignificant reason. I am happy to have the tomatoes canned. And there will be more to do, but probably not until Wednesday.

Leroy and I have been eating lots of excellent cantaloupe, a few medium quality honeydew, and some questionable watermelon. The bugs have moved in on some of these fruits and some I just do not know when they are ripe.

Aside from that we have had some good eggplant and wonderful broccoli without worms, or else we have eaten the worms and not known the difference.

On Saturday we rode our bikes to Ely. It was the first time for me this summer. I was impressed at how well I did and how little it bothered me. Leroy was also in good shape, but he rides to work quite a lot. It was a beautiful cool morning with lovely flowers along the trail and few people. A groundhog raced across in front of us and we saw quite a few geese. The walnuts were falling and we stirred up some fallen leaves as we passed. We checked the melons in the garden so Leroy could give his great opinion. He also got to pick out some books at the library for his reading pleasure.

We are blessed indeed.


Paula

No comments: