Monday, August 23, 2010

Nighttime

Salt Lake City

Hello,

Getting little ones to bed goes easier with practice. However those times awake at any hour are a bit more trying.

Last night two year old Nora woke up crying at 11:30. I went in and because she seemed inconsolable I changed her diaper in bed as she was adamant about not getting on the changing table. Even when finished she cried some more but went to sleep in a few minutes. At twelve o’clock she called out and almost immediate retched. I grabbed for my glasses, hopped out of bed, went into her room, and wondered what should I do?

I rescued her favorite night time companion bear so he would not suffer any more indignities. Leroy had followed me in so I suggested that he find a sheet and something to clean her with as well as new pj’s. I also got two of her blankets out of the way, but the favorite had already taken a direct hit. I figured I would just keep her in the same place until she was finished.

Leroy could not find a sheet, but used his head and brought a soft towel. This info was not in the list of instructions that we had received. We got the sheet off, pj’s off, cleaned the girl, redressed, and to my surprise she laid down on the towel after asking about it. She also seemed somewhat ok with the idea that her bear was dirty as well as her special blanket. She even went to sleep.

At 4:44 am she called out again. I went in to find a girl who was upset about missing bear (Leroy had even taken him out and rinsed him off.) and blanket. Finally I got into the extra bed in her room and invited her to lie down with me. She did that but I am not sure that she slept even though she was fairly quiet. Sharp elbows and knees frequently found me so I know that I did not sleep again. At 6:30 her sister woke up and the day had officially started.

Paula

No comments: