Sunday, July 25, 2010

More Lancaster Tales

Washington DC

Hello,

Of course we had to go to church where Leroy Interned. The street looked much the same. We had lived in the house next door, so it was definitely going home. It is one of 12 homes that we have lived in during our 39 years of marriage. I think we should be turtles and just carry home with us. It would be easier, but not as interesting or exciting. We could not have learned so much about neighbors, plumbing, and ants.

Because it has been 36 years since we worshiped in this place the windows were the same but the people were mostly different. It was good to visit with those few who did know us. Lancaster is also under the 90 degree plus sunshine. It was hot in this large stone church without air conditioning. Do you suppose that heat did not bother me so much then? Or it was not so hot? Or we were more used to the idea of no air conditioning? I could not remember that it had been hot in church, it was just normal.

I realized that I seldom sat in a pew because I sang in the choir. Our spot was in the balcony. That certainly gives a different view to everything. Many of the people in the congregation would have not seen much of me since I was hiding out.

I guess many eastern US city churches are large buildings modeled after those in Europe. Sarah and Stephen’s church also had that look and feel to it.

I see that Iowa had some big rains. It is almost hard to believe such a thing since it is so hot and dry here.

Paula

No comments: