Sunday, July 18, 2010

In the Bus

Lancaster, PA

Hello,

In the bus station, just as we were ready to board the bus, an official police guy came up with a dog who sniffed our bags and then my hand. That was a new experience for me. Sometimes I think I will not find anything new and there it is just around the corner.

Considering the bargain this trip is I was saddened to see so few people board the bus, perhaps less than ten. Besides a great cost it only stopped once and would have been about the same two hour time in a car.

Thank goodness that the rain started just as the bus left the station. We had left umbrellas behind to cut weight and stuff to drag around. Why would we take things we did not need in the unrelenting heat and humidity?

We rode through lushly green beautiful rolling hills. I had forgotten how beautiful this area is. How do the trees stay so green when the grass is so brown? Reminds me of northwestern Illinois where I grew up. Just as we were getting close to our destination, “Move, move,” I told Leroy, “It is dripping on me.”

When he moved across the aisle I gratefully slid over beyond the reach of the drip from above. When we took my suitcase from the overhead bin, we could see a damp spot on it too. Poor bus, getting old, tired, and leaky!

What fun to get off the bus and see the Strubes. We did see them about four years ago just after we had returned from Slovakia. Our history together was that John was Leroy’s supervising pastor 36 years ago. We then thought we were striking out into the unknown wilds of the east without realizing that we would one day go even farther. It was a good push out the door of the Midwest even if it did take 25 years to go farther.

Paula

No comments: