Sunday, July 11, 2010

Harper's Ferry

Hello,

I am a little late writing, but on July 5th we visited Harper’s Ferry. It was quite beautiful in the Shenandoah River valley.

I personally learned a lot about John Brown and his philosophies. The culture changed because of him. Whether he did the right thing at the right time is still a matter of opinion. The US armory and munitions factory were there which lured Brown to this site. So I learned some things about that too.

In the afternoon we toured an old church. It was a Catholic church. As we were leaving the guide asked if we were Catholic or Lutheran. Now our question is, “How did he narrow down the choices to those two?” Do we ooze Lutheran philosophy from our pores? We did ask some questions, but it is not clear how those might have tipped him off.

The heat was quite intense so we did cut our visit a bit short as we were wilting. Heat is quite pervasive here. I had no idea I could sweat so much. May be unladylike, but there is no stopping it.

One of the bonuses of this stop was that it is a national park so I was able to get my senior citizens pass. Leroy is just a young thing so he could not get it. I had been wanting that so now it is in hand or rather in my suitcase. The hard part might be having it with me when I want to use it. Because I walk so much I like to keep the load that I carry with me as trimmed down as possible.

Stephen and Sarah thought of going on this outing and I am happy that they did. It was great.

Paula

No comments: