Thursday, July 29, 2010

Driving Travel Tales

?Iowa

Hello,

Leroy is having an interview for an interim church position in Iowa. I believe that he does not want me to tell where it is so I am being circumspect. It is far enough that we are staying overnight and I just came along to help with driving. I am not so sure that I was much help. I missed the road in one city, thought I could go back the way I wanted by going around the cloverleaf, but the fourth loop was not there. Consequently we had to drive a little way to get turned around. Then at another point I realized I needed to be in the left lane, signaled, pulled in front of a semi, looked in the rear view mirror to see that this large red truck was bearing down on us. Luckily the brakes and driver worked efficiently. He managed to not get to know us more intimately.

Later on he passed me so I pointed out to Leroy that that was the truck I was talking about. Leroy commented, “It says on the door that it contains explosives.”

We could not imagine what type since it seemed to be a truck that would have liquids, but we are doubly grateful for all the good truck drivers out there. Our lives depend on others much of the time.

Leroy pulled off the divided highway to call the church contact person only to find that we could not be back on. Nervous Leroy yelled at me because he could not understand what I was saying about the map directions. He also does not know north and south, I do, but I switch numbers around. We make great travel companions. When we were back on the proper road Leroy quickly apologized. As I said, “Not a problem as I know you are tense.” We laughed a little and the air was cleared.

Paula

No comments: