Tuesday, July 6, 2010

In Washington, DC

Hello,

We had an uneventful trip as all planes were on time, smooth skies, and friendly people all around. The only thing that I can say is that on the metro young people did not offer us older folks a seat. This is not Slovakia where I kept thinking, “Do I look so old that I need a seat?” Here I was thinking “I look old enough for you to let me sit, especially with the bags I have.” Some people are never satisfied.

It was no problem to follow directions from the metro to their house since it is just a few blocks away. We arrived in time to have supper, or dinner depending on your orientation, and then head off for the capitol mall for the fireworks. We took lawn chairs, but I learned that they were for sitting in before the show started as we would stand during the display. That is a first in my life since I have either sat or even lain down. The point of departure for the fireworks was somewhere close to the Washington monument and we were closer to the capitol consequently the light was more visible if standing. Also there was not much sense of the noise because of the distance. Considering my hearing that is not a bad thing, but it took a little adjustment as the noise seems to be a part of the experience in my mind.

Leroy commented, “I really enjoyed being down there, seeing the people, and seeing the fireworks at the capitol of the country.” There certainly were a lot of people. Before the show started it was a constant hum of talk, but much of it was on phones. Most people had some type of electronic devise that was in use a good bit of the time.

We have seen fireworks in Iowa, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Utah, Minnesota, DC, and Slovakia. I would have to say that Slovakia gets top billing in my book. They had some interesting shows.

By the way, four adults and one child in a car seat do fit in a Prius, snug, but not crammed.

Paula

No comments: