Saturday, November 21, 2009

Walking in the dark

Hello,

Women have a bible study on Thursday night. The meetings are in homes. I left the house with confidence since I had gone last week to find my hostess in her housecoat and clearly not expecting anyone. Oops! I was a week early.

The evening was cool, but calm so walking was a great mode of transportation. With my blinking armband I was clearly visible to the drivers when I had to walk on the street. Sidewalk is not everywhere and some places it is so cracked that walking on it is hazardous. There were no trains consequently it was easy to get to the other side of town. Walking past the park I remembered that the sidewalk ended up ahead with a little dip. No street lights illuminated this area so I thrust my foot out a good distance before I let it down in the grass. Water rushed over my shoe and licked at the back of my jean leg. Leaping on I got to the other side without immersing the other foot.

“Grumble, grumble,” I said to myself, but then I realized that I was lucky it was not 30 degrees. Even though I still had perhaps half a mile to walk it was not totally uncomfortable. Besides wool socks help to wick moisture away from the skin. My hostess put my shoe and my sock on the register. She also loaned me her slippers. Looking at her tiny feet before she brought them, I said, “I have big feet.”

“These are big slippers,” she assured me.

My big is bigger than her big. They were small slippers, but I managed to put my foot in so it was not so cold.

We will go to Brian’s house on Wednesday to celebrate Thanksgiving. At that time we will give the kids gifts. We are almost done with those purchases. There are even a few surprises in there. One I had no intention of giving them until today. Leroy is not so sure it is a good idea. I will tell you later what the reaction is.

Paula

No comments: