Monday, November 23, 2009

Nature abounds

Hello,

The day was beautiful so a longer walk was in order. Suddenly there was a cackling of crows that grew louder and more forceful. Then they could be seen flying, however the front bird was not a crow, but appeared to be an owl. The owl settled near the top of a fir tree with its back to me. Even changing my position and getting closer did not give me a good look at it so I started to walk past the tree. Just then a rabbit darted across the lawn. The bird swooped down on it as it ran around the house.

“Oh I hope that bunny got away,” a voice said.

“I don’t know,” I replied as I walked to the side of the house.

“The hawk is in the tree, but he has no bunny,” I told her.

“That is good,” she said. I had been thinking that is one way to get rid of some of the large rabbit population.

She must have seen some of that on my face because she went on, “I watch those nature programs and I know about the cycles in nature, but nobody wants the predators to win.”

“Um,” was all I said to that. Maybe it is the farm girl coming through, but the thought was, isn’t man the biggest predator. Seems to be the same whether it is in the grass or the grocery store, something is killed and eaten. Separating it from the body and putting it in plastic does not change the facts.

Speaking of which, the Ukrainian pastor dropped off a duck and a chicken last night. It is interesting that the duck is bigger than the chicken if I have identified them correctly. I will have to think of something to give them in return. Perhaps some cinnamon rolls would be welcome.

Paula

No comments: