Sunday, April 2, 2017

Neighborhood Clean Up

Hello,

Today was the biannual neighborhood clean up. I am pleased to be able to participate in this task. It brings out the college students that bookcase our neighborhood. Not so many neighbors are involved in this outing, but those of us who are get to meet the students. I always feel that meeting others past some invisible lines that are seldom crossed is a good thing. I know that many of the students are afraid to venture into the neighborhood. I keep hoping that they will learn that we are just regular people.

Today Leroy and I connected with a group of female students from Coe and a male faculty member who was from Mount Mercy. We had a good time together visiting and picking up litter. The area we were covering was not as badly loaded with discards as some that I have seen. We carry three trash bags in the group and one recycling bag. Certain items elicited a bit of discussion as to whether they could be recycled. Cigarette butts, clearly trash, are the most prolific, but not the largest items. One of the Coe students was able to talk about how much damage those butts do to the oceans. She was quite up on her trash and recycling guides. It gives me hope for the future to know that some of the upcoming generation is concerned about the environment and our effect on it. Hopefully we can turn around some of the damage. How did we ever get the idea that the world is ours to treat in a cavalier manner?

Leroy did find a wrench that he talked about bringing home, but I have not seen it since so I am not sure that it made it. Sometimes there are treasures to be found that have been discarded.

I have almost walked my 10,000 steps between going to church and the trash walk in the afternoon. More treasures gained; connections to others, health, and well being. Blessings abound if we are just open to them!


Paula

No comments: