Friday, April 28, 2017

New Bible

Hello,

There are some definite perks to working at the library. The other day I was dealing with donated books when I came across a copy of the Message Bible in pristine condition. I could buy it for a dollar. What a deal!

Leroy and I have a Message Bible, but ours has a fake leather cover that is not standing the test of time. Some bits of it are flaking off. Also this new copy of the Bible is a bit larger size so the print is bigger and more comfortable for these older eyes to read. We had talked about replacing the bible we have, but had not gotten started on the search. Can you image, we paid about $30 for the other when we purchased it almost ten years ago. Now just a dollar is giving us a better deal.

For morning devotions Leroy reads from that translation/paraphrase while I read silently from the NRSV. Leroy does not like to experience both at once, but I do. Once in a while he will ask me what it says in my copy. When we are done with what we will do together, including the joke which has nothing to do with religion and everything with setting a good mood, I read both versions again, think about them, and respond with the TRIP acronym in my journal. After I have done that I record six things I am thankful for in my day yesterday. I firmly believe that all of this keeps my life on an even positive keel. Whose hand is on the rudder? (I am grateful for my Misspeller’s Dictionary which knew that I would spell that word rutter. The spell check on this program could not come to a correction for me.) Not that everything in my life is always good, but that I manage to believe that it will turn out better later and I am not alone. Just as with the dictionary I am always glad to find alternatives that offer solutions to difficulties.


Paula

No comments: