Sunday, June 21, 2015

Cave Trip Continued

Hello,

The instructions were that the children should not get too far ahead of grandma and grandpa. That advice was mostly not needed. We all started off in good spirits and strode off with energy. It was not long before Olivia felt we needed a break. We paused momentarily and then went on. Each bench we saw called to her and we again stopped but it was harder to get moving after each stop. Finally after much urging, either Leroy or I started pulling her up the mountain. As I mentioned before we went up 1065 feet in a mile and a half. Some slopes were quite steep although always traversable with good gripping shoes. There was a warning sign for people who had heart issues or other health problems to consider going back. I felt somewhat tired, but not too much, however it would have been easier to just move myself. There were some places where rocks could fall. We had been told not to stop in those red and yellow marked spots so we moved as fast as we could while dragging another person. We were all grateful for the signs that indicated progress. I have to confess that at the half way point I was sure we were almost done. My heart did beat a little bit more, but it was hard to pin down the reason, altitude, heat, climb, or load exertion. Leroy and I also carried the water bottles and jackets in backpacks. At least the water bottles got lighter.

The path was wide enough for two, but I was happier on the way down the mountain when we could have the inside track closest to solid rock. About half way up a guide met us, stopped, and talked to us while standing about two inches from the edge. I really wanted to pull him closer, but refrained. Leroy commented later that he was also a bit nervous with where he was standing.

We made it to the top with just one minute to spare. I believe when we started the climb, the guides thought Leroy and I would have the harder time, little did they know.


Paula

No comments: