Sunday, April 19, 2015

Spring Cleanup

Hello,

It was spring cleanup in our neighborhood with the Coe and Mount Mercy College students. The plan was to work in the community garden as well, but it rained so we stayed out of there. Leroy stayed home since he does not feel well. He has a head thing which he believes is caused by spring blooms. He has taken some allergy meds for it, but does not feel well while taking them so he quit.

I did go help, at first I was with three Coe students. One of them had to quit early so then it was just with three. We met a man and his eight year old daughter and they wondered if one of us would join them. I agreed to do that. We did not fill our bags either the trash or the recycle, but we certainly found a bit of trash.

I was moving some things around in the house after our company had all left and found the attached picture of my grandmother. She had a good supply of black hair that was still with her when she died at 87 years old. The last time we met, my sister Carolyn and I talked about how she would ask us to look for gray hairs and pull them out. Coloring hair was not her style apparently pulling was, but I believe she was proud of the black that she managed to hang on to.

On the back of the picture it says Christmas 1968 in my mother’s handwriting. I think my grandmother would have been 85 when the picture was taken.

I believe that all of her children turned grey long before that age.


Paula

No comments: