Monday, April 27, 2015

Church dedication and the Garden

Hello,

Before I get to the garden report, it was indeed fun to go to the church dedication. The building addition looks to be a great facility. I found it interesting to seeing the “old” part of the church which brought memories to the front of my mind. Then there was the joy of seeing people I had not seen in a long time. Without people the building would be a shell containing dust. We were uplifted and refreshed by being there.

In the late afternoon we went to the Coe College Handbell and Choir concert. It was also a good experience. Music is good for the soul. We met a friend there and she walked home with us. She had a longer walk than we did, but she got a ride to the event so it might have been about equal walks.

Today I walked down to the community garden with my parsley that has struggled to survive the winter in my house. I planted it, hopefully it will revive now.  I stopped to pick some dandelion leaves and a few flowers. We have eaten them in the past and I thought I would try that once again.

I stopped to visit with a neighbor across the street showing him my harvest. I believe he was less than impressed as well as a little skeptical. He did invite me to let him know what I did with them and how we liked it. So even at 81 he seems willing to learn something new.

He had me wait while he brought out a picture of his mother. She was quite an attractive young woman of Native American and African descent. He remarked proudly that she knew what tribe she was affiliated with. He probably knows little about his African heritage as he never mentioned anything about it.


Paula

No comments: