Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Exciting Work


Hello,

I know, I know, you’re thinking, “How exciting can working in a small town library be?” Depending on your point of view it can be exciting. For instance, I had noticed the number of people complaining about the late season snow yesterday. Leroy and I took a walk in it and I thought it was lovely as it swirled around us in large clumps locked together. It was warm enough that the roads were clear so that made it great for me.

I drove blissfully to work forgetting that it was spring break week for the local students, however I knew the situation upon entering the door noting the four elementary age kids in attendance.

My co-worker informed me that the DVD player and projector were all set up and ready to go at 2:00 pm. Good thing she mentioned that and set it up because I had forgotten about that. She left at 1:00 just as I started work. Luckily I like to be early so she and I could connect.

Not much later there were several more boys who came in to use the computer. I had to firmly tell one boy that he could not have another turn because he had already had two hours. He first said, “No, only one.” But agreed it was his name signed up for two. Then he tried to convince me that he could have three hours. I did not listen long to that talk as I watched more children and a few adults come in. I was grateful that all were behaving as I would hope; this was true even of the few that I have found much livelier in the past.

Starting the movie was not as simple as activating the switches and pushing play. For some reason the signal was not going through. After struggling with this connection and that connection, one of the mothers suggested that I unplug it and start over. That was the miracle solution. This might have taken almost five minutes from the beginning to fast forwarding through the previews to waiting for the on screen warning, etc. In all this time the children were perfectly polite. What blessings abound among the young!
Over 30 children and five adults attended this movie. I did not notice any problem behavior and many commented that they liked the movie. They can be good if we just give them a chance.

Busyness was the order of the afternoon up until about 6:00 pm. After that I seemed to have only one or two people in at a time. I almost missed all of that rush. My boss did stop in a couple times but, of course those times were some of the quieter times. I was even able to get the interlibrary loan as well as some cataloging done.
I certainly do not have to sit around wondering what to do with my time. I feel needed and worthwhile. Is that how we are created?

Paula

No comments: