Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Making a list

Hello,

Finally a list of things that need to be done before I’m gone is created and has the possibility of being added to. Seems there is always one more thing to think about.
I just remembered to check the DC weather. It will be about like it is here, however my arrival day, Friday, has a 40% chance of rain. My rain jacket is out in Utah. An umbrella is packed within easy reach, but the coat would be nice too. I will dry if I need too. Actually there are not such distances to walk that I can not get it done, but it is more difficult dragging a suitcase in the rain. The suitcase will be small, but still my umbrella is small too. All the things that can be damaged by rain will have to be specially packed.

I now have out pj’s for three different temperatures. Only one is going with me, but which one? Such decisions. Day wear is not such an easy choice either when the temperatures can fluxuate. (I could not find this word in the dictionary. Is it not a word? I use it frequently. Or is my dictionary too small? Flux was there.)
Leroy worked quite a few hours yesterday and today on the ceiling at the ministry center in town. This building houses the food pantry. Sometimes he finds it satisfying to work with his hands and finish something. A project with an end can be very appealing.

The largest slum in the world, Kibera in Nairobi is to be eradicated. They expect it to take 2-5 years. One million people live there. The Kenyan government has already started to move some people out to new low rent housing apartments. As might be expected there are people who say they own the land and the government has no right to take it over. Nothing in life seems to be simple. Surprisingly some shacks even have electricity and water. Reports indicated that none were supplied.

Paula

No comments: