Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Generous people

Hello,

Again food just keeps coming. There are several zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers, apples, and pears in this house just because of generous people. What blessings. I am so happy to see all of the color at our meals.

In the apple orchard it was a sad sight to look at these 100 plus hobby trees that had almost no leaves and almost no apples. Last year every tree seemed to loaded and each more delicious than the last. We picked as many as we could. Wandering in a different area I spotted two types of pears that were not quite ripe, but should ripen here as they do when purchased green and hard. Finally I saw a tree that has leaves and huge apples reminiscent of last year. I picked two and ran back to show Martha. She is the one who knows the guy that loves to plant trees. Too bad I found it after we had almost completely filled our buckets. Many rotten apples lay on the ground. Often I would grab a perfect looking apple only to have my fingers ooze into mush. Gross. I still brought home some half rotten ones because I figured I could get a lot of good apple pulp from it.

The apple crisp was delicious. More apples could have been piled in because I had forgotten how much they shrink when they cook. Those half rotten apples were not a good bet because there was more rot inside than expected. But still I probably have two bushels of apples here. But what is a bushel? Leroy and I can not really remember.

I must work on those apples because I leave for Washington D.C. on Friday the 18th when I go to help Sarah and Stephen move. It is much harder to tackle these apples because they are not so nice. Instead they are lumpy and some even have worms.

Paula

No comments: