Saturday, July 25, 2009

No more riding

Hello,

Last evening Leroy rode five miles to find out if he was going to ride the last day of the official ride. The five miles took him 40 minutes. Usually he can easily ride ten miles an hour so he stayed home again today. Maybe next year? What a way to spend his vacation that he had trained for.

I do think that today Leroy is completely well and has a good bit of energy.

When we had our guests here, one of them was going to sleep alone in her vehicle parked on the driveway. She commented before going out there, “What is your neighbor like? Will I be safe out there? The cars are all such junkers. I think I will lock the door.”

“He is a very nice man.” I assured her, “I think you will be fine.”

I should tell you that my neighbor has several tattoos, long scraggly hair, and drives a Harley. The house could use some work and the cars are old. How easy it is to stereotype and assume something about others based on appearance.

Will people think better of us now that we no longer drive a 1990 car? I told Leroy maybe we should have tried to get the incentive cash for older cars. But Leroy’s first remark was, “We would have had to buy another car. Plus it has to get 18 MPG.” Is that fair? Those who have been damaging the environment are now paid highly to be more in line with kindness to the earth. While we who have always thought that was important get no reward but knowing that we have done the right thing all along. Perhaps that is what gives most satisfaction, knowing that what you do is good for all. I guess we have also saved on some gas money over time.

Paula

1 comment:

Colleen Wear said...

Paula...Relax..it is a man thing. Terry has our pickup which in the 5+ yrs we have had it he probably hasn't put 5,000 miles on it. They are handy and a small pickup is quite efficient.