Sunday, August 27, 2023

No Sunday Work?

Hello, We got some green beans yesterday. Canning them seemed like a nice possibility, but it was late in the day. Do we can today, Sunday, or wait? On the way home from church, we saw that there were a number of beans in the garden that needed to be picked. We came home, ate and snack, and went back to the garden. Leroy seemed quite optimistic about the process, but then he has not done it for a while. He wondered what to tackle first. I said, “Pick beans it is the most tedious.” After picking for a while he commented, “Picking beans is tedious.” We ended with two grocery bags quite full. Then we moved on to the cucumbers. We believe that we gathered 25 or 30 pounds of them. Tomatoes were not as plentiful but still a nice amount. I was thinking of canning them too. On the way home we spotted a neighbor getting out of his truck. Leroy asked, “Would you like some cucumbers, green beans or tomatoes?” “Yes, I raise fish and I feed them cucumbers. Plus, we like salad so I would like tomatoes too. We also like green beans.” We gave him some of the good cucumbers and some that were quite old. I did think, “I am not helping to raise cucumbers to feed fish. I want to feed people.” It is a conundrum. Ultimately, I was happy to lighten our load. Tomorrow I will take a number of things to feed Iowa first. Life does not always have perfectly clear answers. Paula

No comments: