Monday, August 21, 2023

Neighbors Helping Neighbors

Hello, Leroy went to a store to buy a sprinkler for the community garden only to learn that this store was out of lawn sprinklers. Is the summer over? We saw Christmas items in a store today. I called a neighbor who has loaned a sprinkler to the garden and told her our plight. She said, “I am planning to go in the early evening. Perhaps you could come later and water the second part. So, none of us would have to be there too long since it is already hot.” I thought that sounded great so that is what we will do. With the predicted high heat and no rain, it will be very difficult for the garden to flourish. It is so wonderful when it is a cooperative venture. I like this garden where anyone can work and anyone can benefit. It has been a blessing for the two of us. Both because of the satisfaction of helping and harvesting. There is no sense of ownership except that it belongs to the neighborhood. The land belongs to the college and they let us use it as well as use their water to keep it strong. We often tell the students who live close that they can pick anything they want, but I am not sure if they do. Leroy picked up his new glasses today. He is very pleased with them. He proclaimed, “I hardly know they are on my head. I can see so clearly.” I wish I had had my prescription with me because I could have gotten money off on my pair if we had gotten two of them at the same time. Paula

No comments: