Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Kind Words

Hello, I had just gotten one antibiotic when it was determined that I need another for a slightly different infection. The pharmacist got my pills for me without asking my name, he did ask for the birthdate verification. I do come in for two maintained meds. I commented rather disgustedly, “I thought you would know who I am by now. It is hard to realize that five years ago I was not taking any meds.” “Well,” he said, “that is something that happens with maturing bodies.” Nice to know I have a maturing body. That seems to sound quite positive to me. Perhaps better than, “at your age” which seems to bother quite a few people at my age. I also think about how I have now lived five years longer than my sister did. I am grateful for the added time. Yesterday at the grocery store I spoke to a young woman I did not know. She smiled and then replied. After a bit, she came up and talked some more. Somehow my comment seemed to meet a need of hers. One never knows what someone else requires. So sometimes we get lucky. It seems both speaker and listener have to be open to possibilities. Now to remember such a good thought. Paula

No comments: