Sunday, August 14, 2022

Biking to Ely

Hello, Today, Leroy and I decided to take some time off for a fun thing. What was the fun thing? Biking to Ely for the first time in two years. In the year 2020 Leroy was deteriorating from his illness. For some reason I did not want to go alone. After a while, I did not want to be away from Leroy for long periods of time. In 2021, it seems the trail was being worked on, it was too hot or it was raining. Surely, we had good excuses. This year, I had not ridden my bike so much. That 11-mile trip seemed daunting. But today, I thought I have ridden 11 miles. If we do that, I could just force myself to keep going and come home. Or I could use that electric assist. Now the question is whether this a fun thing to do in time off? It was wonderful to ride through the trees. We also stopped in Ely and the “famous” ice cream place where we enjoyed cones. Miriam called me as we were riding home. It was perfect timing as there was a bench there with a pull off area. We were also close to the train tracks with the full benefit of the whistle blowing as the trains sped through. Leroy and I huddled close together so we could both hear on speaker phone. We saw a deer, some rabbits, and I think I saw an Eastern Goldfinch. We are both quite tired now, but I want to get at least 5,000 steps. Leroy has 8,500 as his phone tracks some steps while he is on the bike. Right now, he is taking a nap, but we will soon walk. Not sure I would call this a fun day, but it is very satisfying to have met the challenge. Paula

No comments: