Wednesday, October 30, 2019

New Ideas

Hello,



I am reading a book called Women Rowing North by Mary Pipher. I even liked the introduction. I have finished one chapter and am interested in reading more. Now, if I can just convince someone that old age is a good place to be it will be well. It says, according to polls, that women between the ages of 65 and 80 are some of the happiest people in the country. In many ways I do feel more comfortable with myself than I did in an earlier phase of life. The real trick is to adapt and adjust to changes that come in life. Apparently we acquire and retain more skills for the journey as life progresses.



For a book club, I read The Wedding Gift by Marlen Suyapa Bodden. It is set before the Civil War and involves life among the slaves as well as the owners of such human property. I do know something about that piece of history, but this told the story from several female points of view.



I was fine with learning history when is school, but it is only the last few years that I have been reading much historical fiction. It seems to be my preferred method of absorbing more than I did with just the facts. Many of the books involve sights from the woman’s point of view or are even about real woman in history who got no mention in the school books. A theme seems to be that life is not so clearly mapped when it comes to making choices that might change history. Many women have lived perilous lives, especially if they lived in a manner that is true to their convictions. As I “travel north” will I live more true to my convictions?



Paula

No comments: