Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Volunteering Again

Hello



I volunteered at the neighborhood meals again. On my walk there I saw about a half block away, three teenage boys, or perhaps a little older, goofing around. One of them yelled, “Hey!”



I looked over, but kept walking my way. “Hey!” I heard again then “Hey, Babe!” followed by “Hey, Babe, where ya going?”



I just kept walking and did not even bother to wave. I suspect if he had been closer he would not have called me babe, but rather Granny. I have been told by someone who knows me that I walked like a young girl. Now if I could just back into rooms, no one would know how old I am. It is the face that gives it away.



Our church helps with the meals three weeks in the summer. I have now worked twice. Sarah will be here for the last week so I will not do this again this year. There were not so many people today, about 50 less than last time. Unfortunately that makes the planning difficult; fortunately that is not my job. I served food today, fruit cocktail to be precise. There were left over bananas so some people had three fruits, because there was also pineapple. Many of the people who come have several children in tow. I do not know if economically they need the food or if it is because it is so helpful to have someone else fix it and serve it. Anyone can come and eat, no questions asked.



Even though it is warm again it was a nice walk because there are so many large trees that shade my way and the breeze was blowing. With the sun out it was a treat to be out.



Paula

No comments: