Monday, July 15, 2019

Leroy's Retirement

Hello,



Leroy’s retirement from active ministry or church work is officially today. He is at church doing the final clean sweep of his office. He has gotten rid of most of his books. The current intern took some and another seminary student that he knows took some more. He was fussing a little about his files. He has considered getting rid of most of them. I do not believe he has very many. After I told someone he did not reuse sermons, he now tells me that he is keeping some of his, or what he considers his best sermons, so he can pull them out if required. I suspect what would happen is that he would pull it out and change quite a bit of it before delivery.



We will remain in this church so he will have to be vigilant to not interfere or contribute in any way that might be considered official. Last night he was talking to someone about upcoming surgery and getting all of the details in place. I, in my head, wondered what he was doing. I suspect the person there also wondered because she told him that one of the other pastors knew about it. Finally this morning I talked to Leroy about it. He was a bit horrified. He commented that he had not even heard her say about the other pastor knowing about it. Last night he was concerned because he had not seen it on the church office calendar. This will be a learning experience for all. Any other time we have left a congregation we have moved so there is no close connection.



Going back to those files, Leroy is wondering where we can store them. Just now I realized we can take things out of the bottom two drawers of the file cabinet since they are not files, but just items stored there.



Also a random thought. Leroy has served this congregation for five years making it the third longest stay. The longest stay was for fifteen years and the next for eight.



How lives all differ. Yesterday I was talking to a woman who has lived in her house for 40 years. I do not know what that would be like.

This is a picture of Leroy and I after the evening worship service and the celebration for him.




Paula

No comments: