Saturday, July 21, 2018

Biking with Nora

Hello,



Ten year old Nora wakes up early and likes to do rather athletic activities. So anytime I asked if she wanted to go for an early morning bike ride she leaped up off the couch from reading her book, got a drink if I asked, put on clothes, put on shoes, and trotted outside. That adult trike is great for her short stature as we could not get her safely on one of our bikes.



The first time she and I rode we went a different direction on the bike trail, around the construction site, and on into Daniels Park. I hopped out and pushed us up the first short but steep hill. Before the next one she encouraged me to try to ride up it. With comments such as “You can do it, keep going Granny.” We made it. I do have to do most of the work because she is so short that she sits on the edge of the seat where she cannot get so much power. After cresting the top of the hill the next challenge was that she wanted to go much faster down the hill than I did. I sometimes used the brakes while she was peddling. Some places we compromised and some she got her wish.



This morning Leroy and I took an early morning bike ride. I know that Nora would have loved it. We saw two sleepers under a shelter. One was on the cement and the other was in a hammock strung between two braces. Their accommodations were such that no bodies could be seen only the shape of bodies. Their parked bikes were loaded with bags. Had they been awake I would have asked where they came from and where they were going.



Later Leroy and I rode around the lake to see many Canadian geese, one lone duck, two pelicans, one crane, and a small rabbit. The flowers were beautiful. I was also happy to see many walkers along with a few other bikes on the trail. So nice to be out in the cool morning greeting the sun as Nora said one day, “Hello sun.”



Paula

No comments: