Sunday, July 22, 2018

UnBirthday Party


Hello,



We had our pre and post 70th Birthday last Saturday. I believe I would call it a success. I was a bit bent out of shape with anxiety before it started, but once it was on the road I settled nicely to enjoy it. Miriam, Andy, Jen, and Brian all did most of the dish washing and the donut frying. I tried very hard to not use throw away items. That is not an easy task when 60 people are expected to come. I did succumb to the idea of using paper napkins, but it was not a quick fit for me. I also had plastic glasses, but they were washed and given back to the loaner who will reuse them. Anything to keep trash out of the landfill! I would have done the washing myself, but my helpers did it all. We do not know for sure how many people came. We could count up ten who said they were going to come, but did not show. One person came who had not indicated that they would come. Because it was an open house the numbers were spread out nicely and everyone fit in the apartment. Late in the event time, Brian and Jen took all the grandchildren to the motel to swim and that was good as it gave them something more to do than visit with a group of “old” people they did not know.



It was too hot for anyone to enjoy being outside so they missed the beautiful and comfortable deck which was prepared for their enjoyment.



Some people were impressed that I made donuts from scratch for everyone, but I could not imagine what else I could manage to produce that most would like. We only served water as well as a mixture of grape juice and apple juice. I do not like pop so I do not like to serve it. I had talked about having coffee and tea, but Miriam talked me out of doing that. I am glad as our power source would have been stressed trying to keep up with the heating load. Course, what would we do with left over coffee? I guess just throw it out. All in all it went well. I could relax once more.



Paula

No comments: