Monday, September 9, 2013

Service

Hello,

On Sunday, our church, along with others in the denomination, celebrated our 25th anniversary by working in our neighborhoods. Leroy had signed up to help also, but was feeling too tired from just walking to church. Home and a nap helped him recuperate.

A sack lunch was provided. I will have to say it scares me a little to see the contents because the only thing in there that I eat on a regular basis was a banana. I suppose I could say I also eat the bread, but it did not seem like very good bread to me. There was, between the pieces of bread, cheese but not a kind I normally buy this was soft maybe like American or something that was fake, as well as slices of turkey. This meat had been processed to make it appear much like ham. A bag of some type of cheesy snack food was included along with two homemade cookies. I ate everything except the cookies because I was hungry and worried about getting done two hours later and not having the energy to make it home. The reason I find this scary is the thought, what it will be like if I have to go to a nursing home. Surely they will serve more veggies!

I spent some time pulling weeds in the community garden. That was interesting because I would say the set up is quite different from the garden in my neighborhood. Then it was on to deliver the neighborhood newsletters. At least that was close to my home or on the way there. The heat was close and clinging, besides I do not think that lunch helped me much. I had to eat when I got home, but it was just an hour before snack time.

Today I picked up trash in our front yard. I had been noticing it for a while. Instead of spending any more energy complaining in my mind, I decided it would be a lot less expenditure if I just went out and picked it up. I now feel satisfied. My head is saved from negative thoughts for a time to come. Hopefully trash will not come back too soon. There are a group of young men who hang around cars in the shade of the wonderful tree out there. I think they are friends with a guy across the street. Somehow they do not notice how much stuff they put down or know what that looks like to me.


Paula

No comments: