Sunday, September 22, 2013

Another Afternoon Off

Hello,

Leroy and I took another afternoon off. Or sort of did. I had wanted to ride the bikes to Ely and clean out the garden some, but Leroy was not interested in that. If it had been about five miles closer we would have done it.

Instead Leroy took a nap and I started reading emails when I got a Skype call from my dear Slovak friend, Maria. We ended up talking for almost an hour. Leroy joined the conversation when he woke. Isn’t it wonderful that we can have this connection? Who would have even dreamed about it ten or fifteen years ago? Life has many surprises yet to offer. I wait in anticipation.

I had read in the paper that it was still time to do some fall planting. Trusting that word we planted radishes, Swiss chard, and some lettuce outside the house. If it comes up I like to be able to just go out side of the house and harvest these things for a nice lunch or dinner. On the way home from church we picked some basil, cilantro, one zucchini, and some small growths of broccoli. I made up a dish with those minus the zucchini and added some kale that I had brought home two days ago as well as some of the many tomatoes in the house. I figure that one kale will be producing for some time to come. It is my impression that I am the only one using it. I will just keep picking two leave at a time so I am not depriving anyone else.

I learned today that one of the applesauce jars did not seal. That is sad, but something I can get past without sadness.

The almost thrown out mum I planted last year looks glorious this year. That was fifty cents well spent. The beautiful return is so much larger than the outlay.

Paula

Update on Leroy: the other day he said, “I dreamed we were living in Africa. I think I am getting restless.”

Today on the way home from church he talked about how great it would be to get his doctorate. “In what and what goals do you have for it?” I wondered. Thinking, “How old is this guy? And he is not dead yet!”


He thought cataloging, but he did not know just what he would do with it. Stay tuned. Life could change any minute.

No comments: