Friday, April 16, 2010

Life in a Small Town

Hello,

Coming home from looking at the blue heron rookery, we followed a tractor pulling a disk and an ammonia tank. The road was small and it was not possible to go around this rather slow moving machine. The far reaching arms of the disk were folded up to the sky. As we went into town the guy would move into the middle of the road or even on the left side of the road.

“Did you see how close that disk came to the wire?” I asked.

No one else had noticed, but after that we watched carefully. Some passes made us gasp as the tractor went under them. It looked impossible to get by without snagging the wires. We were not sure that they were electric wires, but he managed to miss everyone. As someone said, “He must have done this before. That is why he is moving around the road.” After a bit he pulled off and we were able to get by.

In other machine related news, we have Brian’s old car. It was really our car before we went to Slovakia. Unfortunately before we could get it home it developed a problem with the turn signal. Brian got an estimate from his car repair person in the Cities. That came to about $250. We took it to our local friendly repair guy. The total bill came to $150. There are sometimes advantages to living in a smaller place. We are pleased that we did not have Brian get it repaired.

Moving on to a machine of a different type, I went to get a movie from Redbox. They have a touch screen that for some reason is difficult for Leroy and I to use. Either the numbers will not come in or we get a string of the same number. Today, after starting over at least three times, I think my fingernail hit the one above and I got two letters that I did not want. The woman working in the service area of the store came out and helped me. She had absolutely no trouble. GRR. I think she really is not responsible for this box and did not have to do this good deed. I am happy that she did. It seemed she used the tip of her finger more than the pad as I was doing. Next time I will have to try that to see it goes better.

Paula

No comments: