Sunday, February 1, 2009

Vanity

Hello,

The temperature was 20 when we left for church but there was a wind blowing so it did not feel so nice outside.

“Did you walk to church?” one man asked conversationally.

“No,” I replied a bit sheepishly, “the wind was blowing, my hair looked good, and I did not want to put a hat on it so I rode with Leroy.”

“Oh,” he laughed heartily, “it’s all about vanity!”

“Yes, it is.” I chuckled along with him. “It isn’t everyday my hair looks this good.”

I did walk home with a hat on and my hair no longer looks as good as it did. Such fleeting vanity I am allowed.

Last night we went to a benefit for a former parishioner in Knoxville that is only 33 miles from us. It was nice to be able to contribute to this effort, but also very nice to see some of the people that we had not seen for a long time. I am still amazed that we know so many people in so many different places. Not bad for a couple of introverts.

We are going to a super bowl party this evening. This is a real stretch for me since I do not watch football and have never even seen an entire game. I told Miriam I was going to take along a book since I have no intention of watching. She laughed, but thought that was terrible. She thought I might enjoy the commercials. What is life coming to? Leroy did check at the small church and learned that there will be others we will not watch, but will play games. We do not intend to stay very late because we need our sleep. I just hope they do not wait too long before they start to play games. I am taking some fruit to share. Yesterday I ate too much salt and I wanted a glass of water in the middle of the night, but I could not call, “Mom, I need a drink.” So I suffered in the warm bed instead of going to the cold downstairs since I did not have a glass upstairs. Anyway tonight I am going to try to watch what I eat at least I will try to keep control of my serving size.

Paula

No comments: