Monday, February 2, 2009

Super Bowl

Hello,

I have almost watched the Super Bowl and I will not cry if it is the last time in my life. I will more likely sign with relief.

When we got there we learned that this family of two has three TVs so a larger group could watch comfortably even if the TVs were not large. When it got close to kick off time people gathered up their food and headed for the basement. I did not want to go there because I figured that would be the serious watchers so I went into the living/dining room and sat at the table. Another woman joined me and soon Leroy came too. All the rest of the men had gone downstairs. I did not want him to feel left out so I urged him to go down, but he said, “I am ok with being up here.”

“Even if there are no other men up here?” I wanted to know.

“It does not bother me,” he assured me, “I am not really that interested in the game either.”

Well by the end of the first quarter, I am wondering, “How I am going to survive?” I am starting to take some deeper breaths to relax and concentrate on being restful and bored. I did at least learn who the teams were, where they were based, who was wearing what color, and where they were playing at this moment. I personally did not find the commercials very interesting as some had indicated they would be. “Oh I wish I had my book,” I thought.

The son of one of the women is a coach of a pro team so she has even been to the Super Bowl to watch her son’s team win. But do not ask me when that was or what team he coaches. She, of course, was seriously interested in the game so I thought there was no hope of anything else going on.

Then the hostess brought up a game. “I can do this! I will make it!” I happily thought, “There is more to life.”

We ended up staying to the end of the football game. We played three different rather fun games and then watched the “exciting” end of the game. If I knew what was going on it would make more sense, but I did at least know from the score that it was close so therefore more intense then some.

Now can I say I have watched an entire game? I doubt it since my eyes were not on the game most of the time. Can you imagine? You not only have to watch the action once, but then you are subjected to it two or even three times if it was important for some reason. The reasons I could sometimes figure out and sometimes not. If they had not shown that I suppose there is really nothing interesting to look at since they are just moving aimlessly around the field. All I could think was, “Get on with it and lets finish this.”

Paula

No comments: