Tuesday, February 3, 2009

bus ride

Hello,

Leroy and I woke up early with anxiety. We decided to get up, walk to the library, return the last book, and get ready for the day. It was 1 degree above zero with some wind blowing. Leroy wore his face mask and I got out my new mittens. My hands were warm, but my face was cold. Leroy had a warm face and cold hands. I think I even had a hot flash because I was sweating a bit in my gloves and on my torso.

We think we got everything finished by the time our driver came to pick us up. I told them we did not have to be so early, but it was a good think because the bus stop had been moved. Leroy went in to ask if we were at the right place. We had gotten the address from the internet. Well, it was not right. They thought it was at the train station, but were not sure if it had really been moved there. The big problem with the train station is that there was no one there. They did have a sign up so we hoped it was accurate. Lucky for us the bus came about only one minute late and had plenty of room for Leroy and I.

The driver of this bus announced that there were be no drinking, smoking, or swearing on the bus. He said, “You will be removed from the bus if you break these rules.” When he was not on the bus someone mocked him a little, but they seemed to respect his wishes as he spoke with authority.

Tomorrow we get on the plane for Amsterdam then after a layover, it is on to Nairobi. I gather that the internet is not quite so reliable. I will just write when I can. I can hardly believe that I am doing this. Leroy and I have never been on the African continent.


Paula

No comments: