Friday, September 9, 2022

Giving

Hello, Last night Leroy and I had fresh green beans from the community garden. They were quite tasty, but getting old. Leroy, who was off work picked them. When he said there were quite a few more, I felt we should pick them before it was too late. At the garden we picked the rest of the beans which were not quite as plentiful as on the plants he had picked from, but we still got a meal or so. We also found a number of cucumbers. Some of which were definitely full grown. There was some very nice broccoli. We were discussing what to do with all those cucumbers, but luckily on the way home we saw three people out. They took every cucumber that we had and half of the broccoli. What a deal! We both felt so good about that. It also lightened our load. On that day off Leroy swept up the elm seeds from the sidewalk. I have probably done this three times this fall, but Leroy tells me that he had about a third to a half of a big bucket. This tree is trying to make sure it reproduces itself. Black walnuts are falling and Leroy is collecting those. I wish we had a better way to get the hulls off. My family used to use an old corn sheller. Leroy puts on gloves and uses his hands. I would not bother even though we like them. Both of us will be working tomorrow. I had forgotten that I needed to work another Saturday before one of my coworkers does that most of the time. I will also be working four days next week because two of my coworkers will be at some meetings and we two remaining workers are needed to cover one of the days I am usually home. My extra work is done because of the need to help out rather than to earn more money even though I will earn more money. Paula

No comments: