Monday, December 19, 2011

Pollution on the Ground

Salt Lake

Hello,

I read in the paper that Salt Lake is from time to time, but especially in the winter, the No. 1 air pollution place in the country. It is commonly called an inversion. Somehow the mountains on the east and the west trap the smog in the SLC valley. Some of the smog comes from states to the west. Does that mean that when it blows away with a storm it is passed farther East? Sometimes we are generous with the negative things. Around here it just looks gray and has for more than a week. My sinus has been a bit irritated by it and both of the girls have stuffy heads also. Miriam tells me that the young and the old are both bothered by it. If it is severe there is the chance of death for people with respiratory conditions.

Besides the lack of sun that is a downer all on its own, there is a scent in the air. Apparently it also makes it colder. Park City which is only about 30 minutes away by car, basks in sunshine and pleasant views above and outside the inversion.

I tend to have a little bit of a headache, but that could be caused by not drinking enough water in this dry climate. It is enough to straighten my hair. I suppose I should get a haircut, but I do not like to do these tasks with a new person. Leroy and I have been fortunate enough not to need a doctor or dentist. I should get my teeth cleaned; however I canceled my appointment before we left Burlington. It is hard to start with a new dentist unless I am staying with that person.

I keep thinking I will write a Christmas letter, but nothing is coming to mind so as of yet all I can do is wish you a Merry Christmas.

Paula

No comments: