Friday, June 5, 2009

Still on the Health Trail

Hello,

I walked to the garage sale this morning to find that they did not need my help so after a short visit I headed home to rest. Someone dropped by with fresh strawberries from their garden, cool whip, and two homemade shortcakes. It was delicious. Homegrown berries are the best.

Just as we were finishing lunch another person came asking, “Are you alright? Happy anniversary! Do you like Chinese?” With answers of “Fine, thanks, and Yes “ she proceeded to give us $20 with instructions to go the Chinese buffet place that is just opening. Unexpected pleasures have a special coziness.

The eye doctor put up the eye chart, left my glasses on, covered one eye, and asked me to read the lowest line that I could. I was shocked to say that I could guess at three of the letters in the top line and could not read the others. The left eye was a little worse. This was not the big E on the chart but some place farther down. The next step was another test with flashing lights that I thought was for my peripheral vision. I had some real difficulty on that. Again it was especially difficult with my left eye. When he met with me to talk about results he said he was not checking peripheral vision, but making sure all impulses were getting through the nerves. He showed me normal and then my not normal results. He speculates that there is some bleeding in the brain. It could be sealed over or it could be an aneurysm. He then ordered a CT scan for Tuesday.

“I was planning to leave town on Tuesday,” I said.

“Ok call to see if they can do it today,” He said.

I did get that done. The technician assured me that if it were an emergency they would have a different procedure. As it is the radiologist will read it Monday. I do not have a headache or other symptoms. It was to be done with and without contrast so I needed an IV. He checked my arm for a good vein. “They are so small I am going to call a paramedic,” he said after examining both arms.

“Oh great,” I thought, “needle pain as they search for the vein.”

“Wow,” I realized, “This woman is good,” as she got it on her first stab. After that it was all just a case of lying still and being grateful for people who know something about what they are doing.

My eyes are in good shape, for instance, there is no damage to the retina. In spite of that exam I feel that I am seeing just fine. Apparently I do not know what I am missing.

The Chinese restaurant had tasty food. They were busy enough that it is encouraging. That is our 38th Anniversary celebration. I am tired. Is that physical or emotional? Who knows?

I have booked a flight to Utah for Tuesday since Leroy is gone all next week at confirmation camp. Andy is also gone much of next week. I will give Miriam some help and myself some company.

Paula

No comments: