Saturday, June 6, 2009

Nairobi Central Park

Central Park Nairobi
June 6, 2009

Hello,

I am still feeling fine, but I am trying to be more still then usual. It works sometimes. At least I have let Leroy prepare most meals and clean up afterwards.

One Saturday, Sarah said, “I would like to see the picture display of the uprising that happen just after we moved here.”

So off we went closer to the center of the city. We parked and walked through Central Park in the direction of tall buildings. The park, complete with small termite mounds, was so much greener now in the rainy season. I was pleased to see that there was some playground equipment even if it was just a few things considering this is a city of almost three million. A group of schoolgirls walked through waving delightedly at Lexi and she reciprocated. Was that because she is a white kid and they do not see many of them? As usual the girls had on uniforms. Later some guys with suitcases set up close to a fountain wanted us to buy post cards or other small items.

Crossing the street here is not for the faint hearted. I gave a sigh of relief when we were safe on the other side. Traffic on the left and the round about with several lanes requires much thought for the uninitiated.

The pictures at the exhibit were a stark reminder of how close to violence some people have lived. Sarah said, “I really learned a lot because the TV news had been so censored. I was right here, but I did not know about a lot of this.” There was also a short video in which many news people talked about that they had seen and felt.

http://picasaweb.google.com/psbradway/NairobiCentralParkAndEnvirons#

Paula

No comments: