Thursday, June 4, 2009

Yesterday and Today
June 4, 2009

Hello,

Yesterday Leroy took the afternoon off and we went shopping in Des Moines. We almost never do that in part because it is a 50-60 mile trip. Most things we can live without.

But I wanted to check out the framing possibilities for our family pictures. I am pleased that we can have a custom made frame that will include all nine pictures. It was within our price range so that is great too.

It was a good opportunity for Leroy to shop for tennis shoes since he had not found any in town that fit or he liked. Because he takes so long to make sure he has the proper fit I wondered off in the clearance aisle and found some great winter boots for me. They are by Nike so I am expecting good things on my winter walks. The store was having a buy one and get half off the second pair sale. The boots were more expensive than the shoes. Then I also found a pair of Birkenstock sandals. So then it seemed that we should get a fourth pair to take further advantage of this sale. Saving money or spending money? Anyway Leroy found another pair of shoes that fit him very well so that is good, but if I had not been there we would have saved a lot of money.

We went because there was a good sale on dress pants. Well Leroy ended up with two pair and two clearance shirts besides. I guess we do not get out of town often enough.

Today I went over to help get ready for a garage sale. At one point I took some clothes up to another woman stepping over a bar on a clothing rack, realized I had brought the wrong pants, turned around, started walking forgetting about the bar, tripped, pitched forward, tried unsuccessfully to regain my balance, felt down a step, banged my knees, caught much of the fall with my left hand, felt my glasses crush against my face and fly off as my skull crashed onto the cement. I lay there a half a minute before I rolled to my back and groaned, or at least people said I groaned. Someone wanted me to get up right away, but I refused and took a bit longer to assess my condition. They insisted that I should go to the emergency room. I did not really think it was necessary, but my hand hurt quite a lot and I could not move two of my fingers. They tell me that my head did not look very good either. They quickly got ice, wondered if they should call Leroy I said no, but they did anyway, telling him to meet us at the hospital. My vision was a bit fractured for about 10 minutes. People in the emergency room took it quite seriously checking me over complete with a mini neurological test. I can subtract from 100 by 7’s correctly. Took a little thought, but I got it done.

My fingers had stopped hurting by then. Seemed strange, but the Dr. suggested that it had been dislocated by the force of the fall on it. If so it had gone back on its own. It still hurts when I put much pressure on it, but I can bend it easily.

He checked my eyes, but recommended that I have a more complete vision screening and I will have that done tomorrow.

I uploaded a picture to the fushia file, not that it has anything to do with it, but it was a place to put it.

Some people will go to any length just to have something to talk about.

http://picasaweb.google.com/psbradway/Fushia#

Paula

No comments: