Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sweeping the lawn

Hello,

“Wow! I get to see them cut the grass,” I thought as I watched the guy bend over and use a machete. Lawn shears and manual hedge trimmers were put to use. A little later someone came to rake debris out of the bushes. The next task was sweeping the lawn with a bundle of tired reeds. I only have one picture of these jobs, as I did not want to embarrass them, also they were really quite speedy.

The cleaning woman used a bundle of reeds and a container of water to clean the area around the washing machine and the patio. She was quite efficient in her bare feet. The washing machine is outside but under the overhang so it did not get the full brunt of the weather.

The lot next to the compound was being turned into a car lot. From Sarah’s bedroom window Lexi and I could keep an eye on progress. I took a lot of pictures of guys shoveling dirt into a truck.

Some dirt made it in the truck, some landed on the ground, and some on the side of the truck high above their heads. One guy stood on the truck cab for a while before he came down and did a little shoveling too. Some wore no shirt, some short sleeves, some long sleeves, and some had on a jacket. Cars were in this lot before we left.

http://picasaweb.google.com/psbradway/WorkingInNairobi#

Paula

No comments: