Thursday, May 28, 2009

Nairobi Traffic Jam

Hello,

On our way home from the friend’s house at 7:00 p.m. traffic was even worse than it had been. It is dark at this time all year because it is so close to the equator they have about 12 hours of day and do not change for daylight saving time. We got in a line of traffic and sat for an extended period of time. They do not have many traffic lights or stop signs at intersections. Sarah said, “They don’t use traffic lights because the electricity goes out frequently.”

“How do you know who has the right of way at a corner?” I wanted to know.

“When I first came I asked a co-worker the same question. The response was, you just know.” Sarah said. “I now have some ideas, but it took a while before I felt comfortable with that.

At the traffic jam, by car light (few street lights), two ordinary looking men could be seen trying to unsnarl the mess and direct traffic. They were able to move a couple cars out of the thick of it, when Sarah commanded, “No big truck don’t go.”
But to no avail, the truck moved into the intersection and we were stopped again. Our valiant helpers worked hard to get things sorted out again and finally we moved on our way. Sarah said, “I have been in traffic jams before and almost never seen the police. Usually some of the matatu drivers get out and solve the problem.” Is that acting locally? Or is it a genuine grassroots effort?

Sarah said, “Once it took me 2.5 hours to get home from work. Usually that is just a 15 minute drive.”

“Did you have enough gas?” I wondered.

“I turned the car off much of the time,” she said.

Paula

No comments: