Sunday, May 24, 2009

Removing the Satellite dish

Removing the Satellite Dish
May 24, 2009

Hello,

Sarah had asked me to take the glass jars to the recycle place, but Lexi would not put on her shoes. Before I solved that issue Sarah called to say, “A guy from my office will be coming in 15 minutes to take the satellite dish off the roof. You will need to let him in. also have him look at the baby clothes.”

First this guy got a rickety ladder from the people at the gate. The ladder swayed as he climbed up. Lexi and I had to go out to watch all of this. It was not long before he realized that he did not have the proper tools so back down the swaying ladder and back to the gate to get the right tools. Even with these tools it took a while to pry it loose. Finally it came off and rolled to the edge of the roof before it stopped. Our industrious guy positioned himself on the ladder, grabbed the dish with one hand and swung his way carefully down to the earth.

After a bit if inspection he took the entire box of baby clothes. He also asked about taking the box of books, but I called Sarah and learned that those would be going to a library. Sarah tells me that many Africans are not shy about asking for items that you might want to give away. When this man left he called me “Big Mama”. I am not quite sure what to make of that. I believe it was a positive thing.

Sarah comes home for lunch most days. When Sarah leaves in the morning and at noon, Lexi cries quite a bit. I wonder if it is at those times that she misses Jane. Once she gets past that crying then life seems to be good with me. Lexi especially likes it when I sing to her so I have been racking my brain to pull out all the children’s songs I can think of. The songs have ranged from “Jesus loves me” to “My Bonnie lies over the Ocean”. (Just what is my Bonnie doing lying over the ocean? What does that mean?) Lexi is so easy to put down for her nap. Some days she even asks to go la-la (Kswahili for sleep).

http://picasaweb.google.com/psbradway/RemvoingSateliteDish#

Paula

No comments: