Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Getting ready to move

Hello,

Sarah had gathered many shippable things in the computer room. Once she had everything in there that she could think of, we check the inventory created to come to Kenya. I sit at the computer and change things on the list while Sarah looks through the items and tells me about the numbers and cost. This list will be important if the ship goes down, pirates nab it, or there is any unforeseen disaster. One of the tricks for Sarah is that she adheres to the weight limits and space limits so her company will pay for all of the shipping.

I now know more about some of her possessions than I do about my own such as how many dresses, scarves, and jackets.

The shipping company came about a week ahead of our departure date. That meant most of Lexi’s toys were packed away, but she really was quite content without them. If she could have seen them and been reminded of them she might have been upset, but packed away was no problem.

Four men and one woman came early in the morning. It was nice that Sarah had not yet left for work so she showed them what they should pack and the one desk that was to remain in the room. They went right to work wrapping, packing and moving all items to the lower floor. One man worked on building a shipping crate while others weighed each package. The truck did have a hydraulic lift on the back so they could more easily put the crate in the truck. If the truck had not said Storage Company on it I might have thought it was a horse trailer. I was sorry not to see loading take place, but they got it done when I was not looking. I also was curious about whether they had ridden there in the back of the truck or come there some other way. We would often see trucks with many people riding in the back. At the end I did have to sign a paper that they had all: been courteous, working, dressed in uniform, and careful of the house.

Yesterday Sarah told me that it would be July before their items came to the US. She might have told me this before, but I could not remember. The crate goes first to Mombassa by rail or truck, then by ship north to the Suez Canal, to the Mediterranean, and finally crosses the Atlantic. If I could be sure of no pirates, I might like to take that type of trip. Could I handle more than a month at sea? I am not sure.

I should comment that Sarah and Stephen did not move furniture to Kenya because Sarah’s company provided those things along with other household items.

http://picasaweb.google.com/psbradway/MovingCompanyKenya##

Paula

No comments: