Friday, May 29, 2009

Catching the bus and the Kenya National Library

Hello,

A man was running and running trying to catch the slow moving bus long after it seemed impossible. When he drew abreast, a hand thrust out the door, he grabbed it, and swung up into the bus.

“Sarah,” I said, “he got on the bus and it did not stop.”

“Yes,” she responded, “that happens all of the time. I would be afraid to do it, but …”

A bit later guy got off a moving bus. Such risk takers, surely living in the US would be too tame.

The person who is cleaning told me, “It is so good to go home at 3:00 p.m. because I only have to pay 20 bob for transport. In the morning it was 40 bob.” Morning rush hour commands a higher price. Forty bob would be about 50 cents. Not a bad price, but to save half would be very nice.

Sarah had some books to give to the library. Following sketchy directions, a map, and circling she found the place. I was pleased to go to the Kenya National Library. There was a book van out front so I knew that was available for someone who would not live close. Inside, the building was plain but utilitarian with most of the space used for good purpose. A shabby Webster’s Third International was on the table for easy access. Never have I seen such a hard used dictionary in a library. Pages did not seem to be torn, but folded, creased, and wrinkled.

Sarah was donating fiction, but most of the collection was non-fiction as this seemed to be more a research library. There was also a small children’s area. I asked if I could take some pictures and they urged me to cover the entire floor. Even on a national holiday weekend there were people sitting and studying in the plastic lawn chairs.

http://picasaweb.google.com/psbradway/KenyaNationalLibraryService#

Paula

No comments: