Friday, August 16, 2019

Driving With Weak Eyes

Hello,



I had an eye appointment this morning. When we originally put this on the schedule, Leroy had planned to be home so he could take me if my eyes needed dilatation. Well, when talking with his boss about work times this week, he forgot about my eyes. He was only scheduled for a half day, but planned to go in the morning which is when my appointment was, but not early morning. We decided he needed to let the museum know that he would be later than planned. I did indeed have my eyes dilated which means it is more difficult to drive, especially since my far vision was already compromised. So, I am happy Leroy was there, but felt a little guilty that he had to wait so long. There was another test that the Dr. wanted to do, but it will wait until next time.



The good thing is that my eyes are health, the negative is that the cataract is growing making my far vision a bit fuzzier. Both the Dr. and the person who worked on my order for new lens commented on the strength of the prescription and how much it went up. One of the problems is that my vision cannot be corrected to 20/20, fortunately it is good enough that I can still legally drive. It is possible my night vision will be affected, although he thought that was still good.



This afternoon I went to the grocery store, driving the new car since Leroy had the one I usually drive. It all went well, but it is a bit disconcerting not to know how to work some of the controls such as how to make it cooler. I missed my auto air control. My eyes remained on the road and the cars around me while I let sweat come down. Early, Leroy sat and looked over the manual, I might have to do the same or perhaps just ask him for all his great knowledge.



It will take two or three weeks for my glasses to come in. They said the higher corrections sometimes take longer than others. I had thought about them just putting the new lens in the shop rather than send in a frame. However they said it would be much better to send it in so the lens can be thinner and not so heavy on my face. I had brought with me an old frame that passed reliability inspection. Now I just have to be patient and wait for the new lens. That will once again allow me to read signs from a greater distance.



Paula

No comments: