Monday, August 5, 2019

Cars and camping

Hello,



I worked on the day they flew in so Leroy picked them up using the newer car. As I was driving to work in the older car, the check engine light came on. I drove with caution and a bundle of nerves the rest of the way. At yoga others assured me that it would be ok to drive home. A quick call to Leroy confirmed that notion. It was all fine, but Leroy was not able to get an appointment to have the car checked until after our camping trip in MN. All five of us fit in our car, but there are no seats to spare and not so much packing space. However both Sarah and Leroy felt we could do the camping trip with just this car. Earlier Leroy and I had looked into renting a larger vehicle, but because we are now past 65 years old the price was noticeable higher. We could have had Sarah sign for it, but I am not sure she wanted to do all the driving.



Brian was bringing most of the food so we did not have to take a large cooler. These girls know a lot about packing lightly and swimming suits do not take much room even if they are not used. I was impressed. The tent was probably the largest item. We got sleeping bags and pads for all, in the vehicle as well as clothes. Our sleeping bags and pads are quite compact when not in use. It was tight, but not overwhelming. We were even able to add three fold up chairs. Two of them are camping stools so they are more compact and one foldable foot stool/seat that Brian made in High school shop class. The pack ability of this crew silenced my objections. We headed off to the north weighted down, but a seat for everyone. The car groaned a little as it felt the load.



These girls are also good travelers. I did not hear much complaining about the length of the trip



Paula

No comments: